Feelings of low self-esteem, discomfort, and poor oral health are common conditions people experience after losing a tooth. But losing a tooth or multiple teeth is nothing to feel ashamed of. However, it can negatively affect your oral health and daily lifestyle. The good news is that there are effective treatment options available. And one of the best available choices are dental implants, which have many important benefits.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium devices which have the shape of a screw and acts as the root of a missing tooth. A dental prosthesis is attached to the root to replace the missing tooth.
Causes for Missing Teeth
There are many possible causes for people to lose their teeth. In fact, this is a common occurrence. Among the countless factors that people may lose a tooth include:
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Being born without specific teeth (a condition known as congenitally missing teeth)
Procedure for Getting Dental Implants
To insert a dental implant into the bone, it is necessary to perform oral surgery. But don’t worry. This is a simple procedure and features a quick recovery as long as a highly trained dentist performs it, and the patient follows the post-operative instructions.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Thanks to their excellent fixation and integration with the bone, there are many important benefits of getting dental implants.
- Allows for oral rehabilitation: Dental implants allow for oral rehabilitation. This is accomplished by fixing a prosthesis to replace a lost tooth or several teeth. As a result, functionality is restored. So the functions of your teeth, such as chewing and phonation, can be restored without any problems. Also, remember that mastication is a fundamental element for the effective digestion of your food.
- Better stability: When oral surgery is performed to place an implant in the bone, this will be fixed using a process known as osseointegration. This process involves direct contact between the implants, and the bone favors the retention of the former. This process does not occur immediately but requires a period of approximately 3 or 4 months. After this period has elapsed and the tissues have properly healed, the prosthesis can be positioned.
- Incredible durability: Dental implants provide many benefits that include their resistance, durability, and long life compared to other prosthetic alternatives. It is important to note that the benefits are dependent on the degree of oral hygiene you practice. A good hygiene routine, including effective brushing and flossing, is important to keep your dental implant in good working order.
- Prevents the loss of alveolar bone: The loss of alveolar bone is avoided, or if it already exists, its progression is prevented through the use of dental implants. Bone loss is due to the lack of chewing stimulus, which is not performed in the area of the absence of teeth.
- Maintains the structure of your teeth: Another important advantage of dental implants is that they help avoid the migration of neighboring teeth due to dental absences. This is because teeth tend to move to achieve contact with a neighboring tooth. This migration of teeth brings consequences such as dental malpositions, crowding, and alterations in the way the upper and lower teeth mesh.
- Keeps your smile beautiful: One of the benefits of dental implants is the restoration of the aesthetics of your smile. Dental implants provide an excellent appearance in addition to adequately reproducing the natural shape of the teeth.
Splendid Dental Atascocita Can Help With Dental Implants
As you can see, there are many benefits to dental implants. So if you are considering them, we invite you to come to Splendid Dental Atascocita for a consultation to determine whether dental implants are right for you. Call the experts at Splendid Dental in Atascocita today at 713-244-7790 for more information or to schedule an appointment.